Monday, May 5, 2008

Worm To Your Mother

Yeah, I said that.


So, Matt took Desmond for his first vet appointment this morning and worms galore basically sums up his fecal test. Delicious, isn’t it? I’ll spare you the trauma I suffered when I Wiki'ed ‘hookworms’. I don’t care that Gordon had them too and that vet after vet keeps assuring us that this is extremely common in puppies…it’s still absolutely gross.

As if my gag reflex hadn't been tested enough for one morning, I had to hear that the worms were just the tip of the iceberg...homeboy also has a PARASITE! Are you kidding me?! Mr. Roly Poly weighed in at a staggering 10.2 lbs at the tender age of 13 weeks…I can’t even imagine how fat he’d be if he didn’t have a foreign body leeching nutrients from him!!

The treatment is a banana flavored dewormer that he loves (surprise, surprise), so I guess things could be worse. Luckily, thanks to almighty Heartgard, Louie shouldn’t be affected.

Even though I didn’t get to go along, I know we both feel a lot more comfortable back in the care of the Humane Society. Matt told the Gordon story to the vet they saw today and she did suggest that he probably should never have been neutered as young as he was, but who knows. Matt also explained that since we’re still a little leery, we’d really like to see the same vet each time we visit. She was extremely nice and understanding, gave him her card and said that when it's time for Desi's snip job, they'll take extra special care of him. And she also has a puggle herself (and a beagle and a poodle mix)! Hooray!

The only problem left is that I'm just not so sure about letting this dude sleep in my bed until he's free and clear of creepy crawlies:



I have a feeling this is a battle I'm going to lose...

6 comments:

Meghan said...

Eeeewwwww. Jasper had heartworms when he was a kitten. You don't even want to know how I found out. *shudder*

Hope the little guy is okay!!

Julia Goolia said...

How can you say 'no' to that face? But the worm/parasite mix is completely creepy. Good luck with that!

Mary said...

"Worm to Your Mother." Ha ha-you crack me up. If he's been in your bed all this time, then you probably would have already contracted worms and parasites from him:) Besides, he's going to need lots of TLC as his body adjusts to the absence of the microscopic fanged monsters having a party in his body. Get well soon, Desmond!

Anonymous said...

Ohhh, poor little guy. Get better soon Desmond!

Lisa said...

The creepy crawlies thing is pretty gross, but I just cannot get over how cute that little guy is!!! He melts my heart.

Teresa said...

I died at "worm to your mother".