Friday, July 11, 2008

Seriously?

So, I’m required to wear suits to work. Really? I mean, most attorneys I know don’t wear suits except to court. I’m not a fan of this policy for obvious reasons, the biggest of which is that I hate buying them. They’re expensive (if you actually want to look put-together), boring and I despise shopping for clothes that can’t “multi-task” if you will. But whatever, c’est la vie.

I happened to be at the mall during my lunch break today and saw that The Limited was having a sale. Normally I don’t shop there because the style isn’t really me, and in my experience their clothes are made for women who tower over the rest of us. However, I am in need of new suits in summer-weight fabrics and decided to give it a try.

I actually hit the jackpot – there were tons of relatively cute suits on sale, in a considerable number of sizes and with pants in the short version, a veritable trophy for a woman of average as opposed to supermodel stature.


I headed to the dressing room with 4 suits in what I assumed was my size. Since I’m not a frequent Limited customer, I knew that I’d probably have some size adjustments to make, but I figured that they’d at least be uniform…like, can I have all of these in a 4 please? How I can fit into a 0, 2, 4 AND 6 in the same store’s clothing is beyond me.

It was enough to frustrate me into leaving with only 2 of my 4 selections. Again...seriously?!

6 comments:

Jen said...

That's ridiculous! I stopped shopping there when they told me they no longer carried anything "that big" but there's no reason for you to be 4 different sizes!

Good luck with the rest of your suit shopping :)

Julia Goolia said...

oooh, I beg to differ. All stores are made for women of average height. It's a rarity to find 'tall' sizes and yet, there are ALWAYS petites available.

Case in point: J.Crew stores. Always normals, petites, and if you want talls----you have to order online, sweetie.

End of vent:)

Kate said...

I definitely feel your pain on the difficulty in finding suits that fit! That's why every single one of my six suits comes from the same place (J. Crew, because they offer talls). And you can tell your boss that it's definitely true that not even attorneys wear suits every day anymore. But I'm afraid I'm also going to have to echo Julia on this one. You can always cut length off the bottom of your pants, but you can't get additional length to materialize if your pants are too short. Story of my life, until recently when some stores have begun to get a clue that height doesn't necessarily correlate exactly to pants size.

Mary said...

I hope I never have a job where I have to dress up. I could wear my pajamas-the guppies don't care what I look like;)

I haven't been to the Limited in a really long time. What a PITA to have to get all those different sizes.

Teresa said...

1. It is crazy to have to wear suits everyday. 2. WTF? about the Limited, what messed up sizes. 3. While I enjoy clothes shopping find good work clothes sucks.

I don't envy you!

Unknown said...

I had to buy 3 different suits for an industrial film I did, and they only gave me a $50 for wardrobe. So I bought them online at Target. They actually fit great and look good and I think I spent less than $200 total.