Tuesday, April 15, 2008

A Splash of Color!

I've been lazy and haven't followed up on any ideas from my post about updating the house to reflect a springier feel. That is, until today!


Here's the living room before (in the fall, with blue wall and unpainted closet door):


Here it is now:

I freshened things up (hopefully) with a bold floral patterned area rug from World Market, some bright yellow striped throw pillows from Pottery Barn, and a rectangular vase full of branches loaded with faux yellow buds from Hobby Lobby. I've never been a fan of silk florals, but I like these a lot. I tried using real branches from our forsythia bushes, and they were shriveled up with in 4 hours. Zero maintenance works much better for me!


I still need to add a few more new throw pillows, but I'm trying to do a little at a time since just a couple measly fabric covers with inserts from Pottery Barn pretty much broke the bank. Hmph.


So does it at least look a little brighter? What about these colors?

7 comments:

N. said...

Gorgeous! You have a beautiful house. I really like that rug, and the pop of color from the pillows.
I also am not a fan of fake flowers, but faux branches actually look really nice. Great job!
Hope it brings warmer weather to us!

Meghan said...

ooooh!! i really like it!! it makes it look like a completely different room. ah, i love redecorating. :) great job!!

Anonymous said...

It looks gorgeous! I love the yellow - I'm totally into that color lately. And the rug is so bold - love that. I'm not into faux florals either, but I've found that branchy faux florals actually look really good, so I really like the forsythia. Everything looks fab!

Maria said...

Great choices on the colors! I love the paint color, the white closet door and that rug is fabulous. You did a great job!!!

Ellen said...

Don't you love forsythia? I love when it starts blooming all over St. Louis :o)

Thoughts Anonymously said...

Love the rug. May I ask how much??

Megs said...

Brigid - it was $40 on sale! I was and still am super pumped about this! :)