Wednesday, March 26, 2008

An Answer to a Prayer...

Last week, I had e-mailed the woman who runs the rural Missouri rescue facility from which we adopted Gordon. I know that she takes an active interest in where and how her dogs end up, so I wanted to let her know about everything. I hadn't heard anything back right away.

Over the weekend, on a whim, I decided to check Petfinder.com to see if maybe - just maybe - one of the two female pups that were left of the litter when we adopted Gordon were still in need of a home.

I was surprised to find that there was a new listing at the same rescue for a puggle litter of 4 males and 3 females, born on Feb. 3. I didn't want to get my hopes up, but they are such a rarity to find in rescues, especially at this one in the middle of nowhere. Just the idea that these could possibly be Gordon's siblings was enough to pull me out of the sadness of the first few days.

I finally heard from the rescue owner yesterday, who was of course very sorry to hear about what had happened. She has been in contact with the owners of the other pups from his litter and all of them are excellent. She went on to tell me about the new litter. While they have a different pug dad, they are indeed from Gordon's mom!!

We had wanted to wait awhile to recover, but we both agree that Louie needs a companion sooner rather than later. Moreover, if we were to add another member to the family eventually, we would definitely want it to be from a rescue. Finally, Gordon is absolutely irreplaceable, but if given the choice, wouldn't we rather have a pup related to him than any other?


As these puppies are only 7 or so weeks old, and our schedules are too busy right now to consider throwing a puppy who needs 24/7 care into the mix, we'll take some time to make a decision and then go see them maybe by next weekend. In the meantime, she will be holding at least one of the males for us until we can make it out there :)

I'll keep you all posted...

9 comments:

Meg said...

I have my fingers crossed for you!

Anonymous said...

How cool would it be to get one of Gordon's siblings?! Keep us updated - I've got my fingers crossed!

Meghan said...

yay! that would be so great! how exciting for you guys and Sir Louie! i'll keep all fingers and toes crossed ;)

Unknown said...

It would be amazing for you to get and have one of Gordons siblings. Petfinder is amazing, both of our cats are from petfinder and I would not hesitate getting another pet from there!

Good Luck!

Teresa said...

That would be great! Good luck!

N. said...

Oh.. good luck! What a great thing that would be.

Julia Goolia said...

I hope it works out! It would certainly be bittersweet and never replace little G but how cool to have a sibling.

Also, email me sometime. I want to talk albums with you [what did you do for yours?]. jules5.27.07 at gmail

And thank you for respecting my instability regarding weather and snow complaints. You can whine about your snow, too---but I kind of like the 5 inch rule:) It would make me less jealous of you STL girls:)

LC said...

Oh, yay! How exciting for you (and Louie). Keep us posted!

Mary said...

It would be awesome to be able to adopt one of Gordon's siblings. Good luck to you!