Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Le printemps!!

C'est vrai: my favorite season, not to be confused with the jaw-droppingly fabulous store Au Printemps, is almost upon us!!


Will you just LOOK at what is popping up all throughout the beds in front of our house?!

A sure sign that warm weather is on its way for good? HOSTAS!!!

In other spring-related news, my mesclun, basil, cilantro and rosemary seeds have all sprouted and are well on their way to establishing sturdy root systems in their little "greenhouse". I think I still have time, so I may just go completely wild and add some oregano and chives into the mix! Maybe even some dill weed and mint? The possibilities are endless!


I know, I know...BOOOOOOORING...but I'm pretty damn excited about not having to buy lettuce or fresh herbs all summer long:


Can I get a woot woot for Mama Nature?!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great minds think alike, LOL!

DH and I need to hop on it and get an herb garden going...I think we'll work on that this weekend. ;)

Mary said...

Do you think I could grow those herbs indoors all summer? We get a ton of light in our condo. Are you doing anything special right now other than watering? I'd love to have an herb garden. Add that to the list of reasons why I need a house.

Megs said...

Mary: I'm the worst person to be asking. That said, I don't see why you couldn't grow these bad boys inside, especially if you have plenty of light.

Right now, I have mine planted in peat containers in a portable greenhouse, and I keep them under a fluorescent light for 12-16 hours a day.

I'd actually prefer to plant them in pots and keep them on my deck, just so they're handy and away from pests.

Let me know how yours work out if you decide to - I was surprised at how easily mine germinated; now I just have to work on not killing the seedlings :)

Sharon said...

Good for you...I received a cute herb garden for my birthday in January and have yet to see anything sprout. Yours look great!