Thursday, March 27, 2008

Bitch is the New Black?

Oh, why not...let's ruffle a few feathers!

Recently, Tina Fey appeared on SNL with the following commentary:




Without delving too deeply for the purpose of this blog into my own political views, I will simply say that I have always identified most strongly, in most areas, with the Democratic party.

I must say that the strong pro-Obama bias that's been evident since the beginning of this campaign is somewhat disconcerting to me. His linguistic skills are indisputable, yes. I also believe that what he has to say is extremely important for our country to hear. What I mean to say is that I am not anti-Obama; I am just more inclusively pro-Democrat.

I am curious as to the reason behind the intense hatred that plainly exists for Hillary. I mean...what did she do? Maybe it's my gender affiliation that compels me to defend Sen. Clinton. I mean I suppose I get that she doesn't exude an overly warm and fuzzy presence, but do we expect that of our male leaders? Someone please cite for me a claim that Abraham Lincoln was ever warm and/or fuzzy. Even beloved Barack, while affable, is not quite what I would label sensitive.

I don't mean to come off as an embittered misandrist, but I really do feel that there are still different expectations of women in politics (and everywhere...different post)...the glass ceiling remains. For instance (not that we should pay any attention to attempts to distract focus from real issues), is it just me who feels like Sen. Obama's recent adversities, such as the surfacing of the Rev. White videos, have created far fewer reverberations than any Sen. Clinton has sustained? Indeed, they have provided him with opportunities to emerge even stronger...yet I'm not convinced that this necessarily makes him the better candidate. Meanwhile, she lied about arriving amidst gunfire 13 years ago (when in fact video footage showed her de-planing rather peacefully) and she is torn to shreds. I just find it interesting that Sen. Obama emerges a hero and Sen. Clinton is painted as a lying shrew.

Maybe I'm simplifying things too much by boiling them down to gender...maybe it's an issue that, as has been suggested about the discussion of race, we need to just "get over".

I do know that ultimately, what we need is someone who can mend deep and badly frayed divisions. If Sen. Obama is that person, then he has my full support and attention. I just wish that Sen. Clinton, the first woman with a real shot at the White House, didn't have to be cast as a treacherous villain in the process. I believe that right along with Barack, she has our country's best interests at heart.

That's all. No more political blogging for awhile. Oh, and Tina Fey is hilarious :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You write so eloquently Meghan!

I agree 100% with what you said. I'm an Obama supporter, but my views are just more in line with his than with Hilary's. But I certainly don't find her a villain, as she is so often portrayed.

I have one thought on this...it is more acceptable to be sexist in our society than it is to be racist. And I think that media outlets are more comfortable attacking Sen. Clinton and possibly being tagged as sexist, than attacking Obama, and being tagged as racist.

Just my two cents...

"T-Bone" Lee said...

As someone who was once very supportive of Hilary and is now on the Obama train I can tell you that it is not because Hilary wore her hair one way or is not "warm and fuzzy"...it's because she is too cozy with lobbyists, continues to feel entitled to be president, whines repeatedly about press coverage and now lies about incidents caught on tape. She will say or do anything to be president. And this is from someone who was a major Bill Clinton supporter as well.

Obama continues to avoid this kind of scrutiny because when questioned about possible scandals he responds honestly ("yes I inhaled. that was the point") and delivers speeches that transcend the problem (Rev. Right's racist remarks) and comments on things most politicians shy away from for fear of alienating voters. He's more than just charismatic. He's a leader who is truly representative of America and who is not afraid to call a spade a spade...and he doesn't feel entitled to the presidency. He's on a quest to EARN it.


Ok. that is all! :)

Megs said...

I enjoy your insight and counter-arguments, ladies :)

I will support whichever candidate receives the nomination, and trust that both have enormous potential as leaders.

That said, I just don't accept that Obama is quite the knight in shining armor, nor that Clinton is the duplicitous wench as I believe they've been cast.

Megs said...

Let's just annex Brazil! You'd have my vote...just think of all the things that would be legal :)

Maria said...

I just wanted to say that I also think Tina Fey is hilarious. She did a great job on her recent SNL hosting bit.

Kate said...

I just came across this article on Slate and thought you might find it interesting: http://www.slate.com/blogs/blogs/xxfactor/