Saturday, March 8, 2008

Reason #6,932 why I wish my dogs could talk

Because they have some explaining to do.

Earlier today, after a lengthy mid-morning romp in the backyard, the puggles bounded inside and from across the room I commented that Gordon looked dirty (not really worth commenting on, since it's characteristic of him). On closer inspection, I came to the stomach-turning realization that it wasn't dirt. Nope, try blood. Lots and lots of blood.

Given my previous history of working in a pediatric hospital, one might assume that I should be able to keep my shit together when it comes to gruesome situations. That's partially true. Level I traumas? No sweat. Looking at the x-ray of a kid who had severed his urethra in an ATV accident? Didn't even flinch! Witnessing a 2 year old undergoing a spinal tap? I barely broke a sweat. The morgue? Ok, scratch that one...that experience was faint-worthy. But seriously, I'm no pansy about this sort of thing...as long as we're dealing with a human patient.
Somehow, seeing my 3 1/2 month old puppy covered in blood, I couldn't keep myself from jumping around like a child and letting out screams that sent Matt flying in from the other room.

Gordon's right eye was swimming in blood - we're talking no visible sclera. The fur on his chest, right side, front legs, and right ear was saturated. We scooped him up and started frantically scouring every inch of his wriggling little body to find the source.

Twenty minutes later, we hadn't found so much as a scratch. Once it was wiped out, his eye was completely clear. After he was cleaned up, he was as good as new. Thinking that he had killed an animal, we decided to investigate the crime scene. There were traces of blood on the deck and on the siding, but no remains.

Louie had a small smear of blood on his front left paw, so our attention turned to him: "What did you DO?! He's your BROTHER!" He apparently didn't like that line of questioning and went to lie down for a nap.

They're both still acting highly suspicious, but no one's talking.

You be the judge - is this a guilty looking pair or what?


3 comments:

Teresa said...

Hmmm, those two look just a little two innocent, especially Gordon (if Gordon is the one in front).

Meghan said...

omg! Did you ever figure out what happened?? I know exactly how you feel though. When Brodie got hit by that car I totally froze and couldn't do anything but sit there and cry. :( No one likes to see their baby hurt! I hope little Gordon is ok!

Mary said...

Eeek, they probably got a bird! Bird-killers! Well, at least they are okay. I know I've said before that I hope Louie rubs off on Gordon...but now I wonder if it could happen the other way around!

And you're tagged, but the way. Give us your seven weird/random facts.