Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Goodbye, Gordon (you and your smelly little nose)....

After we received the news that Gordon's seizures were increasing both in number and severity this morning, it was obvious that his condition was not going to improve and although we were reassured he was in no pain and had no conscious idea what was happening to him, we wanted nothing more than to stop his suffering as soon as possible.

We also wanted to be there, so we arranged to come in at noon. Since the doctor performing the procedure was going to be awhile, we were asked if we wanted to visit with Gordon privately beforehand, and we agreed. Unfortunately, I hadn't adequately prepared myself. The tech brought him in, wrapped in a blanket and a pad, because he'd been incontinent for awhile. The tube had been removed from his throat, and he was barking - involuntarily, spastically, loudly, and constantly. His whole little body thrashed each time and it is a vision that I am sure will be in my nightmares for a long time to come. I tried to hold him, but he was stiff and his yelping got worse, so we just stroked his fur and whispered into his ear that we were there and that it was almost over. He still wagged his little tail so I hope that he knew on some level that we were with him. This was obviously difficult to see, but I'm glad that we did, because I knew beyond a doubt that we were doing the right thing for him. I had such an immense feeling of relief when he finally did fall silent, which is not to say that I felt good.

I realize that Gordon was with us for a short time - just under 2 months. Even so, I really cannot remember life without him. The irony of the fact that we were unsure about keeping him those first few days is not lost on me, either. But for a tiny puppy, he developed SUCH a big and fun personality. He quickly burrowed into our hearts and lives, and we never looked back. He was such a part of our family's routine and my thoughts throughout the day, that he might as well have been with us our whole lives. I never thought I'd have a reason to regret complaining about waking up in the middle of the night to take him out, or being annoyed when he licked my face too much...
I am sitting here in disbelief at what a difference a day makes...that things could be so different now. I don't often get too philosophical or spiritual, but I've had nothing but time to think today and I can't help but want to make sense of this. What lesson is this experience trying to teach me?

The only thing I can come up with is that Gordon got to be a part of our lives to change us for the better. He pulled Matt and me out of our own little worlds at a time when I can see that we had gotten just a little too preoccupied, complacent and maybe self-absorbed with mostly unimportant things. He challenged us to pay more attention, to go out of our way to care for him and teach him, and to open our hearts enough to let him make us really, really happy :) Louie was against the idea of a brother at first, too...but it was so sweet to watch the change in him as he fell just as in love with Gordon as we did. I am hoping that all he knew and felt was love in his short life, too.


I keep feeling silly for mourning the loss of a pet I've had for less time than I've had the jar of pickles that's chilling in my fridge door. I think of people who have lost parents, or my parents, who have lost children, and it makes me feel like I need to just snap out of it. But as many people have told me today, no one's loss is more or less significant than another's...Gordon was so loved, it's impossible not to acknowledge the void that his loss is leaving in its wake.


I am comforted knowing that he's got a bunch of friends to welcome him: Teddy (Matt's Golden Retriever), Jaxx (Meg's Golden), Baron (Kate's family's dog), Muffin (my overweight childhood cat), and many, many others. I know that he is somewhere where he will be a funny little puppy forever, and where he knows how much we love him.


Something told me on Monday night to make time to take some pictures of the boys (since we don't have nearly enough of those), even though I was tired. These are really painful to look through right now, but I'm glad that I have them and hopefully someday soon I'll be able to look at them without crying:


Bye, Gordy...we all love you and miss you!
The sun just came out...I'd like to think that it's Gordon's little way of showing us he heard me and he's ok :)

13 comments:

Meghan said...

thanks for the update, megs. it must have been so painful, but i hope that writing about it was some weird kind of therapy to help you get through this tough time. i do know that jaxx will be thrilled to have a new playmate up there! these pictures are great, you can definitely see how loved he was. i'm sending all my love to you, matt and louie.

Teresa said...

I am seriously in tears. I am so sorry, I can't even imagine how hard this is.

I think it matters very little that he was only in your life a short time, when you love someone, you love them, regardless of the time.

I hope you, Matt, and Louie will be getting along ok in the next few days and weeks.

"T-Bone" Lee said...

oh meg!!!! i am...so...so...sorry...i can't even begin to imagine...i mean...i've gone through this with five pets...and it never gets any easier...but at least you loved him while he was around...life was good for him...Lua is up there playing with him too!! I love you!!!

Anonymous said...

Again Meghan, I'm so so sorry. I just can't even imagine how sad you, Matt, and Louie are right now. Please let me know if you guys need anything.

I'll tell you one thing, you're past two posts have made me hug Butch a little tighter.

Jen said...

This post was a heart-wrenching and touching reminder of how simple life can be. Gordon was a very lucky boy to have such a loving, caring, and fun family in you, Matt and Louie. Mr. P and I send our condolences, and we'll be keeping you all in our hearts.

Julia Goolia said...

My God, Meghan. This is awful. I NEVER cry and I'm seriously fighting back tears myself right now. I am so incredibly sorry for your loss. Don't ever feel bad about mourning the death of this precious puppy, I'm beyond words but thank you for sharing this with us.

I'm going to hug Henry right now...

Eden said...

I am so sorry to hear this Meghan. I really hoped that he would pull through. I don't think that you have to feel silly mourning him "even though" he was only with you for 2 months. A pet grows on your heart so quickly. I like to think that our little cat Sasha is also there to meet him. *hugs*

LC said...

I don't cry often and this really pulled at my heart strings. I am so so so sorry that this has happened to your and your new family. It is great to know that Gordon was loved during the time that he was here and I am sure that he knew that. I know that it will be hard but try to keep your spirits up, support each other in this time, and give little Louie a big hug every time you see him. I am thinking of your all!

Unknown said...

*Misting up* I am just so sorry Megan. That is so awful and poor little Gordon was one tough dog to put up with all that. I'm sure he's looking out for you now :( So sorry

Jennifer said...

Meghan - I know I have said this over and over, but I am so sorry for your loss and I am wiping the tears from my eyes as I read this. Please take comfort in knowing that Gordon knew just how loved he was, and still is. Brian and I (and Sophie and Izzy, too) send you our condolences and I will be thinking of you, Matt, and Louie often in the days and weeks to come.

Maria said...

I am soo sorry for your loss. Gordon was lucky to have you, Matt & Louie in his life.

Ellen said...

Just wanted to add my condolences -- I know how hard this must be for you and my heart just breaks thinking about it. Sometimes that depth of grief can just seem so overwhelming -- threatening to engulf you. So hang tight -- and give Louie some extra snuggles. I'll be thinking of you!

Mary said...

I can't believe you lost Gordon. I'm catching up on your blog and I'm just heartbroken for you and am crying over my keyboard. Gordon sounds like he lived a lot in his short little life. He was lucky to have you and Matt as parents and Louie as his brother.

There is no reason to snap out of anything; a pet is a member of the family and you need time to grieve for Gordon. I'm so sorry and hope that the healing process will begin soon.