Monday, March 17, 2008

Weddings and Birthdays and Crepes, Oh My!

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

I had myself quite an interesting weekend, one that left me mostly nauseated :) I'm sticking with the argument that since I have to work (the audacity!) and will miss out on today's celebration with the rest of the family in Dogtown, I earned the right to live it up over the weekend instead.

On Saturday, we watched friends exchange vows at St. Francis Xavier and then partied amidst a St. Patrick's-themed reception at the Franklin Room in Soulard. They made the best of a fairly yucky early spring day, looked fabulous, and are such a sweet couple! Congratulations! I know that most of the people who read this blog are into weddings, and I regret to tell you that I don't have a single picture of the bride and groom, flowers, decor, etc. Nope, but we did manage to snap more than a few of yours truly and her drunk companions...stay tuned for those...

We rounded out the night with an appearance at a St. Pat's party hosted by some friends, and let's just say that their offerings of particularly strong lime jello shots, while delicious, did not exactly complement the bottles of wine plus 10 or so cocktails I had already imbibed over the course of the afternoon/evening. Praisefully, all photo documentation ended around 10pm, before things got too compromising. Nevertheless, you might get an inkling from the following photos about where the night was headed:

Oh sure, things look ok right now...

Harmlessly silly...
Oh, dear...

I'd better stop right there with the pictures. I do have one other thing to get off my chest, though: my damn dress! This is only the second time I've worn this number, yet it's also the second time I've had MAJOR zipper issues. Of course, I had no plan B and was forced to attend the wedding ceremony wearing my coat to cover the fact that my dress was only halfway zipped! Luckily there was plenty of time before the reception for one of my friends to sew me into the thing, but come on, J. Crew!



Moving along to the birthday behind the title of this post, yesterday was that of a dear friend, so since I can't be in California to do so in person, I'm sending a shout-out her way: Happy Birthday, Meg! Hope you found some green beer to drink :)


I, on the other hand, avoided even thinking about alcohol on Sunday. Before my hangover had taken complete hold of me, I naively agreed to meet my friend Lindsey, who recently moved back from Phoenix, for crepes in the CWE and then for a quick walk around Forest Park with the dogs (my 2 puggles and her German Shepherd mix). After about an hour of back and forth about whether or not to bring additional canines into the mix (specifically, her parents' mutt and 6 month old Lab puppy), it came down to the fact that neither one of us is capable of saying no to our four-legged counterparts and that everyone should get to enjoy the park.

Let me just give you a mental picture of the scene that I arrived upon while parking near the Art Museum to meet our companions. There was Lindsey, barely visible among three of the largest, furriest dogs I have ever seen stuffed into her...wait for it...VW Beetle.

To her credit, Linds is a badass trainer and she had those dogs wrapped around her finger. Pretty soon, she was walking a mile a minute with all 3 under control, calm as can be. Meanwhile, Louie (all 30 lbs of him) was pulling me so hard that my hand had started to cramp, and Gordon managed to wrangle himself out of his collar and bolt. I carried his ass for the rest of the walk, and the little punk was still exhausted afterwards!

I'm not proud to say it, but my dogs are awful walkers. It's gotten embarrassing. It has been recommended to me that the pronged collars which I think look like torture devices are actually both humane and quite effective, so the boys will definitely be fitted for those before their next visit to the park.


We decided that crepes would have to wait for another day, which was painful considering that I've been trying to make it to Crepes Etc. for weeks now and because I was convinced that a nutella and banana (my favorite) would have promptly settled my stomach. Instead, we picked up bagels and then headed back to our house so that the dogs could run around and play freely for awhile.

One thing's for sure - our backyard is much smaller with 5 dogs in it...

The whole gang (Please excuse the hideous yard...not much can be done in the winter, unfortunately!)
Mom, I'm a little tired...

You and me both, buddy...you and me both!

4 comments:

Julia Goolia said...

J.Crew is quickly becoming one of my worst enemies. You'd think with the price they charge these days their clothes wouldn't fall apart. And now I sound like an old bitter hag.

Also, did I totally miss the fact that you have TWO puggles now? I'm dense I know, but my god Louie has a brother. Duh!

Great post. I do not envy your hangover. I'm too old for those these days.

Anonymous said...

Gordon and Louie are just too dang cute! Butch really wants to meet them. ;)

Meghan said...

thanks for the birthday shout out, megs! no green beer for me, but i did manage to take down plenty of sangria!

and you don't need to go the pronged collar route if you don't like the idea. we use Gentle Leaders (you can get them at any pet store) on both dogs and i can walk them at the same time by myself with absolutely no problem (usually they pull the whole way). it just loops over their nose! easy as that and there's no pain whatsoever. anyhoo, just another option! :)

glad to see you had a fantabulous weekend!! :)

Aimee said...

I love nutella and banana crepes. Ooh - that sounds so yummy! Wish I could have one!