Monday, March 31, 2008

I Could Have Danced All Night...

...but I didn't, I worked my ARSE off instead! Let me apologize in advance that this post about a day spent taking photographs has none in it. On the other hand, I could write a book about all of the details from my 8:00am - 12:00am workday with team Browers on Saturday, but I'll see if I can sum it up for you:

-I look tres chic in all black.
-I drove a truck for the first (and second and third) time. I'd say I parallel parked it too, but that was really more of an attempt.
-I'm sore in places I never knew existed on my body.
-PSA to all future brides: Budget plenty of time for yourself to get dressed on your wedding day!
-Arriving at your church with 5 minutes to spare before the start of your wedding ceremony is stress-inducing, for you and for your photographers!
-You can coordinate 50 formal family shots in 15 minutes AND make them look damn good if you know what you're doing.
-GPS is a glorious invention.
-Ted Drewes offers free custard to bridal parties!
-I don't completely suck at taking pictures when armed with a mack daddy camera!
-Bee Tree Park is so far away that I'd have sworn we had driven to Arkansas.
-P'Sghetti's sandwiches are delicious - what have I been missing all my life?!
-The bathrooms at the Ritz-Carlton are more beautiful and smell better than anyplace on earth.
-I take back my stance on wedding videography (it's actually kinda cool!)
-I feel cool carrying around photography equipment, even if I don't know how to use any of it!
-If you use a video light, you can get amazing pictures through the back window of a Rolls Royce.
-The Ritz serves truly amazing raspberry creme brulee.
-Congratulations Bridget & Carl!

I seriously had a ball and am now even more impressed with Michael and Lajuanna after watching them from the other side of the camera. They are absolute work horses, and are so genuinely concerned about making the day perfect that you'd think each wedding they shoot was their own. All I can tell you is that if you're planning a wedding, book them. Book them now. If you've already done so, you probably already know this, but you are in for an amazing day!

I also have to give a ton of credit to a couple of the other vendors, some of whom I had the pleasure of spending 15+ hours with:

Joe and Jeff from Switzer Films
are amazing at what they do and hysterical.

Mighty Big Band - this was the first time I'd heard (or even heard of) them, and while it pains me to say this because I've always been partial to our wedding band, Galaxy, I think these guys (and girl) might be the best I've heard. Galaxy is still phenomenal too, though!

All in all, I learned a great deal even with limited training time, and Michael even encouraged me to play with their Canon 1D Mark II (forgive me, but I don't even remember what lens I was using)! I'm fairly confident that Michael will want to feature each and every shot of mine on his blog
, so watch out for those :)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

So jealous! I can't wait for my turn. ;)

Teresa said...

That is too cool Meghan! Sounds like all the hard work was worth it.

I have always wanted to become some kind of photography/videograpy assistant like that on the side, so I envy you! Even though I have never met the Browers, they seem like they would be a riot!

Megs said...

Teresa - you should definitely do it!

Kristal - we are going to be at different Studio Bs on the 19th - I know they'll be a blast anyway, but boo :(

N. said...

What exactly are you doing with them? I never heard... I just read something of Kristal's about her doing StudioB with them, and then this from you... sounds like you're having a blast whatever it is!

Julia Goolia said...

You are an assistant then?

Very cool. Sounds totally tiring though. Even to read it made me tired.

LC said...

I was supposed to be doing StudioB with Kristal on the 19th but now I'm not :( I thought you were doing StudioB but are you an assistant too? I didn't know that you did photography!!!

Meghan said...

Oooh! Supa fun ;) Definitely jealous, but I'll settle for living vicariously through you! Can't wait to see some of the shots you took!

Megs said...

Just to clarify, I'm assisting the Browers at weddings and/or Studio B!s on a part-time basis, whenever they need help...and by assisting, I mean trying not to get in their way too much! This was my first time, and while I was able to play around with the camera, I know NOTHING about photography, though that is the eventual goal :)

Lauren, I didn't know you were helping too - that's awesome! The 19th is going to be insane...a wedding and 2 Studio B!s?!?!

"T-Bone" Lee said...

So this is totally off topic...but i just read your comment on Lil Meg's blog. I love dogfoodanalysis.com and switched Indy's food after reading through there. We feed him Canidae and love it. We'll be switched to Innova Evo probably soon cuz it gets the best rating on that site and now that Indy's no longer a pup he can handle it.

Maria said...

It sounds like you had a blast! Congratulations on getting your first wedding under your belt. What a neat opportunity. :-)

Heather said...

That sounds like a blast and would be so much fun to do! I can't wait to see how they turned out.

Mrs. B said...

"P'Sghetti's sandwiches are delicious - what have I been missing all my life?!"

I see you're not from South County. Yes, P'Sghetti's is awesome! We're having that for my bridal shower on Sunday. I'm super excited. Yummy!!!